Engle-Shook Funeral Homes, Tiffin & Bettsville
After graduating from the Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science and gaining professional experience, Adams A. Turner founded the Turner Funeral Home. With his wife, Stella I. (Andrews) Turner, the couple served the Tiffin community for many years. By a twist of fate, one day John Phillip Engle, age 16, happened to pass the funeral home and offered to help Mr. Turner rake leaves. Thus began a long personal and business relationship and the decision for Phil's life work. Following graduation from Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science, Phil served his apprenticeship at the Turner Funeral Home, received his license in 1958, and remained as an employee. In May 1959, Phillip married Rayella Turner. Following Adams' untimely death in 1965, Phil and Rayella purchased the business from her mother, Stella Turner, and the name was then changed to Turner-Engle Funeral Home. The Engle Funeral Home of Bettsville was established in 1967.
In December of 1999 Eric and Jennifer Shook moved back to their home town of Tiffin from Loudonville, OH where Eric had been serving his apprenticeship and started to work for Phil and Rayella. After a few years of working for them Eric and Jennifer bought the funeral homes in Tiffin and Bettsville in January of 2004, later that year they changed the names of the funeral homes to the Engle-Shook Funeral Home & Crematory of Tiffin and Bettsville and in 2008 Eric and Jennifer decided to continue to invest in the future of the funeral homes and installed Seneca County's first Crematory.
Lindsey-Shook Funeral Home, Bloomville
Our history dates back to the 1880, with William Pancoast and Henri Chamberlin starting the funeral home in Republic. In 1903 Carl and Roxey Pancoast purchased the funeral home and years later his son, Reginald and Enid Pancoast came into the business.
The Bloomville funeral home was established in 1946, and has been in continuous operation since that time.
On March 23, 1961 Robert and Doris Olds purchased the Pancoast Funeral Homes, with the name being changed to the Olds-Pancoast Funeral Home. Mr. Olds had been employed by the Turner Funeral Home in Tiffin before he purchased the Pancoast Funeral Homes.
The Olds-Pancoast Funeral Home was sold on July 15, 1985 to Mark and Karen (Showman) Lindsey of Willard and the new name will be the Lindsey-Olds Funeral Home. Mark is the fourth generation in his family business in Willard. On May 18, 1994 Karen Lindsey received her funeral directors license and will be assisting her husband in operation of the business.
On February 1, 1998, the Lindsey's opened a new funeral home at the corner of SR 19 and US 224 in Bloomville, closing the other locations in Republic and Bloomville.
The Lindsey-Olds Funeral Home was later sold on November 1, 2017 to Eric and Jennifer Shook and the name was changed to Lindsey-Shook Funeral Home.